Information I collect
To fulfil any order or receive promotional items such as swag, you must provide me with certain information, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering, or the item you’re requesting. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information such as mobile numbers etc. If you sign up to my mailing list, I will collect your name and email address for the purpose of sending the mails requested.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- As needed to fulfil my promises, such as when we use your information to fulfil your order or I send you a promotional bookmark, or to provide a whole new plot twist exclusive to you (wouldn’t that be cool!).
- When you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list.
- To provide you with Advanced Reader Copies, or send you editorials, manuscripts for editing etc.
- If necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and as necessary for the purpose of our legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving our services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my readers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons only and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to our business, such as delivery companies, postal services and the like. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If we sell or merge our business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce our agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
Transfers of Personal Information outside the EU
We may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, we may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If we are deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, we rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Mailchimp is Privacy Shield certified.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- You can object to (i) My processing of some of your information based on our legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless we have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Us
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Ian Thompson, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, you may mail me at:
Ian Thompson, Unit 1 Bourne Industrial Park, Bourne Road, Crayford, Kent. DA14BZ.